FEMA’s Core Capability Development Sheets provide tools that organizations can use to build or sustain their capabilities and close identified gaps. The National Preparedness Goal establishes 32 Core Capabilities to address the greatest risks to the nation. Additional background information is available on FEMA’s Technical Assistance Program website.
Each sheet provides the following information, tailored to the Core Capability:
- Training courses
- Standardized capability targets
- Nationally-typed resources
- Planning partners
- Validation support
Mission Areas include:
- Prevention: The capabilities to avoid, prevent or stop a threatened or actual act of terrorism; focuses on ensuring optimal preparedness to prevent an imminent terrorist attack within the United States.
- Protection: The capabilities to secure the homeland against acts of terrorism and manmade or natural disasters.
- Mitigation: The capabilities to reduce the loss of life and property by lessening the impact of disasters.
- Response: The capabilities to save lives, protect property and the environment, and meet basic human needs after an incident has occurred.
- Recovery: The core capabilities to assist communities affected by an incident to recover effectively.